Saturday, July 12, 2008

Arusha--Initial thoughts...

I arrived last night to the Kibo Palace in Arusha, Tanzania. (www.kibopalacehotel.com) Made with a sturdy red brick, standing a few stories high and encased within a circular marble lobby, it is a fine modern style hotel that seems completely out of place amid the most dilapidated store fronts and shacks. I am lucky to be housed in such luxury, considering that Tanzania is one of the poorest nations not only in the world but also within Africa.

Arusha is a sea of different colors, smells and people. When I first landed and de-planed, I could only smell hay and farm animals, although I could not see any in the dark. I, however, had the unfortunate event of seeing a smashed donkey on the side of the road. I could see why that happens often, as Landrovers and mini-vans hustle through the barren highway, driving on the opposite side of the street. And when you finally come into town, you can smell nothing but diesel fuel. Being colonized by the British and Germans, most people speak both English and Swahili. Having an international reputation, you see many British and Americans embarking on safari. Meanwhile, the locals wear bright flashy reds, purples, yellows and greens. Their clothing covers their entire bodies, including their heads. The women often wear headdresses. You'll find many of them toting their bundles of fruit or drinks atop of their head. It's magnificent to watch them walk so gracefully and steadily. As for the men, they are dealers and brokers, constantly asking if you want to buy fruit or electronics, etc. Overall, they are very savvy salesmen, but what is remarkable is the sheer number of them. My guide, Rizwan, informed me that there are nearly 400,000 people in the town of Arusha. Tragically, 78% of them are infected with HIV. Another intriguing statistic is that 60% are Christian and 30% are Muslim, despite their conservative wardrobe. I found that a contrast to what I've been reading off Wikipedia.



After scouting the area today, I'm setting up my host, Andrew, at either the wholesale marketplace or the bus stand. Hundreds of people arrive to these locales to either barter, trade, sell and buy...or it is their starting/ending point to their journeys. I can visually see the commotion around Andrew while he relates to viewers the bustling commerce of this small African city. Luckily, my crew arrives in a few hours, and I am looking forward to sharing the sights I think will be eye-candy for our show.

As for my first evening, I've found the Tanzanian people to be educated, very kind and humorous. I've even had one proposal for marriage already! His name is Tamas. He's a local musician that wants me to send him more guitar tabs so that he may add American music to his repertoire. In a most flattering fashion, he sang me an improvised song that he appropriately named "Johanna gives me hope." I also enjoyed an African buffet that wasn't bizarre at all. I ate beef with potatoes and bananas, otherwise known as "matoke", and then enjoyed sugared donuts called “maandazi”.



More to come later...

Jo