Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A prep for Africa

Tomorrow is my first day traveling to Africa. It's a simple flight from Minneapolis, where the production company resides, to Amsterdam and finally to Arusha, Tanzania. In fact, it could not be more simple, as my other colleagues keep reminding me. They had the unfortunate situation of enduring more layovers (the highest count was 5?) to get to Ethiopia & Uganda.

This afternoon, I sprayed my clothing with permethrin. It's an insecticide that keeps ticks, mosqitoes and tsi tsi flies away. Yet, it's quite potent with numerous warning labels posted on the bottle and box, i.e. to call the CDC if you get it on your hands, body, face or eyes. Ironically, it seems the potency is rather okay after two hours of drying though. You can even wear the clothes for up to 6 weeks and have the full effect of the insecticide. Remarkable! I'm now imagining what third eye I will grow at the end of my African trip!



And for your curious inquiries, I had to get 7 shots:

1) Yellow fever
2) Tetanus-- this was a doozy
3) Polio
4) Typhoid
5) Meningitis
6) Hepatitis A
7) Malaria-- and I need to take Malarone a few days before, during and after the trip.

Ciao for now,
Johanna