Friday, September 24, 2004

Warning: Increase in Homelessness May Cause Society to Bust

I am not sure what this current government is doing for the millions of homeless people across America (Source: U Census Bureau 2001). But I can easily say, homelessness, by my own perception is on the rise in NYC. Currently, there are 36,864 New Yorkers (Source: NYC Census Bureau) without homes in the Manhattan area, which is a rise of 33% from 2001 that indicated there were 27,719 homeless people.

I believe we are on the rise of poverty in epidemic proportions. Is this statement fatalistic of me? I doubt it. Look around and become aware of your surroundings! Today, I did just that. I ate lunch in Columbia Square (59th Street/ Broadway, for you, Non-New Yorkers), which is one of the main entries into Central Park. Among the half acre of land, there were 19 homeless men wandering about, looking inside garbage for cans/loot/food/cardboard, sitting, falling asleep or begging for money. I considered giving my half eaten sandwich to one of them, but then considered my own financial situation and how delicate it is. I work a full time job at an entertainment company, with a high rent and exorbitant living expenses. How can I afford to re-gift my food when it is already a gift for me? This thinking segue ways into what our local and national governments are doing for the downtrodden.

Upon returning to my job, I researched the statistics and was utterly dismayed. My perception was right; there has been an increase of homeless people. It's not a stretch of the mind to reason why. Consider that in 2001, there were 3.5 million uninsured people, and NOW, there are 45 million. What accounts for the increase? Perhaps, it's because the economy fell after the dot.com era and September 11th. Many companies, especially in NYC, have frozen hiring. There is a generous pool of skilled workers, with decimated finances, and sunken spirits. Since I am not homeless myself, I can only guess that defeatism plays a large role in why they suddenly find themselves on the street. Not all homeless people are the swaggering drunks or petty criminals we are conditioned to think of. During the Great Depression, there were 1.5 million homeless (or 33% of America [Source: Farmers.com]), but many were bright and skilled workers seeking any kind of work from farming to meat markets. Even the "best" of society, such as the rich and famous, committed suicide due to defeatism and low-self esteem, directly attributed to their loss of job & life purpose.

What people don't think about next is that homelessness is a true reflection of society. When the economy fails and there is no governmental welfare system to assist the destitute, anarchy and chaos soon takes place of depression. If anyone remembers NYC in the 1980's, they will nod in agreement. According to the NYC Census Bureau, 1987 had one of the highest unemployment rates and homelessness of approximately 27,000 Manhattanites. Only in 2002 & 2003 have we gone through worse with nearly 40,000 homeless people! Check it out yourselves.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dhs/html/statistics/statistics.shtml
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dhs/downloads/pdf/histdata.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dhs/downloads/pdf/dailyreport.pdf
http://www.census.gov/census2000/states/ny.html
http://www.census.gov/main/www/cen2000.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/18/national/main589377.shtml

With the onset of Bush policies, such as eliminating overtime & health care insurance, reduced wages, outsourcing jobs, and company consolidation, how can we make ends meet? Please let me know. Blackjack, anyone?! This is not counting the national average of $8,000 in credit card debt. How low can we go? Even lower, let me tell you why....the "weak-minded" mothers who want to "protect" their children are voting for Bush, because he gives a false sense of security by flexing our big American bicep of military power....not prowess. Nonetheless, what they don't anticipate is that there is a decrease of national and local security, with a cut back of jobs in the police sector, to pay for Iraq. Hence, with an increase in homelessness, financial & psychological despair, we have a declining police presence. How ironic!...and iconic of this presidency.

What's even scarier than being homeless (don't count ignorance against me in this regard), is the shrinking of the middle class. I am sure you have read this plenty of times before I've written about it. There are 31.1 million poverty stricken individuals across America (Source: US Census Bureau 2003). In New York alone, which is our US economy's center core, we have 19.6-21.3% of four million people living in poverty. The percentage has risen from 14.6% in 1999. The determinate salary of a poverty-stricken single individual is $9,393. Ironically, George Bush's home state of Texas has the highest rate of poverty in the nation, with 38%-43%.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Ranking/2003/R01T050.htm

As I continued my contemplation & lunch, I read "The Artist's Way," by Julia Cameron. She discusses extreme-thinking, which made me think of psychology. If any one of you has been involved in therapy, you would note that most sessions are based off the way we talk to ourselves. Most people are guilty of extreme, bi-polar, and often unreasonable thinking, even when not blatantly noticeable or immediate damaging. For example, a person thinks they have only one or two ways of living, i.e. I can't be an artist and make a lot of money. I can't have a lasting romantic relationship if I want to be extremely successful, etc. Again, I surveyed my surroundings and questioned if any of these homeless people have been seen by a therapist. Am I being too ideal? Am I asking too much of MY government to facilitate and get inside of these people's heads? Do I want a large government that spends money on our people rather than on weapons? I'll say it- F_cking YES.

What most conservative fiscal Republicans believe in, a perverted Darwinism, is simply idiotic. Humans have cognizance, unlike animals. The "fittest animals" survive because they HAVE to propagate the species and possess inherently violent survival instincts. People have passed this primitive stage to recognize that other behavior/action can keep the peace, territories, continue fertility etc. So, when a Republican wants less social programs and calls for independent survival, they are exploiting Darwin's theories. People need people to survive! This is a hackneyed and generic statement, but it is true. Republicans with this mindset are not using the working system to their advantage. Isn't paradoxical to not want to assist these people, who can then, serve your company? I believe the more you serve/ cater to your current & potential employees, the more benefits your company reaps. Employees work harder and more efficiently. They are more loyal and dedicated, so your company has fewer turnovers, and essentially, less training. But the company has to take the initiative in hiring and a leap of faith in recruiting new talent, even the homeless.

How can we reverse this homelessness & poverty? When can we create programs that advocate homeless rehabilitation? Hey, if you have an idea, please let me know... -Johanna