Saturday, August 07, 2004

Volunteering: Voter Registration

Today was my first day volunteering for the John Kerry campaign. KerryVillage.org & KerryMeetup.com called me two days ago to commit a few hours in Staten Island to register voters. It was an exhilarating experience, even though I was not directly involved with Kerry's campaign. I took no care if any one was a Democrat or Republican today. I served only one purpose: to educate people about our political system and to have them register to vote. I spoke with several Democrats, Republicans, Undecided, First-Time, and Disenchanted voters. I pushed aside my pride and actively pursued people. I spoke with them naturally to get an idea of where they were coming from. I also assisted the Kerry crew in setting up signs and the registration table.

My job was rewarding. Staten Islanders are known to be the most conservative New Yorkers. I was astonished that there is a large Hispanic population residing there. I spoke with a Mexican- American about his disillusionment for politics, especially for Bush's administration. I tried to convince him that his vote certainly counts and that there are politicians in society working for the American people...ALL people. After using my embarrassing and limited Spanish, he smiled, accepted my voter registration card, and filled it out. He commented, saying "Perhaps, you are right. You've made me believe." I gave him the traditional Spanish cheek-to-cheek goodbye and left to pursue another triumph.

And, it IS a triumph! I cannot express to you how powerful it is to help society; to be on the side of prosperity, hope, humanity, and nature. I hope you, too, will help America push past these awful four years. I hope you, too, will speak out in what you believe in. I hope you, too, will cultivate yourselves in political education. I hope you, too, will take action. ACTION- is walking the walk. I urge you to realize that even the smallest efforts result in big gains.- In peace, Johanna